Thursday, December 4, 2014

never.. NEVER alone in the woods...

The woods..
They are filled with wonder
delight
fierceness
and fright
darkness
and light
walking in the woods
there are many trails
the crunch of the snow beneath your feet can be either comforting..
or
upsetting if you are TRYING to keep quiet..
with that occasional 
SNAP 
of an unexpected twig 
hidden beneath the white…
hiding

you never know if your hood will snag..
and white will fall on you 
and all around you 
whilst walking in the woods 
after a nice snow fall

In the woods.. walking… alone at night
you can feel
SO very alone.
ever creak
crunch

snap
has SUCH a different sound
at night
in the winter
as compared to
 the day
or in the spring
or in the summer
or in the autumn..
the sounds 
are SO 
shockingly different..
I know, because
I walk these woods..
and have for some time..
 I will stand
and close my eyes
and listen to the lies
of it's silence

because it's never
ever 
really 
actually silent

and since learning of Moriarty
I have paid extra special attention..
spent longer times..
with my eyes shut..
even tried to walk sections of the trails 
with my eyes shut.. 
just feeling my way with a walking stick.
deciding..
whether 
 I would zap him.. or 

or let him live,
and steal my eye sight..
it was a big decision... that Gamma Knife Surgery…
pretty scary stuff… 
another thing I know about walking in the woods alone..

is you are NEVER ever really 
alone

creepy right..?
thinking you are along but 
NOT actually BEING alone...
but it's comforting too..
not only is 
God with me..
but all His creation
deer
chipmunks chasing one another
rabbits playing hide and seek…
there are coyote in the woods
and some bigger animals
and raccoons
and who knows what else...
the quieter I get..
the MORE I hear
and eventually
The more I SEE..
and so ..
and so it is in life
the quieter I am in my home
the MORE I hear
the more  I see

I hear the play
but can I identify the game?
I hear the argument..
but can I discern that tone isn't anger but fear…?
I see the mess
but is do I discern laziness
or illness and being overwhelmed..
am I listening
am I listening
am I?
and in the standing..
or the sitting
In the being 
STILL..
in the listening to the forest
in the listening to the family
in the being still
I hear
and 
God's Word is SO VERY
clear
In the being still 
I can 
KNOW
He is God
and HE is good
even
in the forest
even in the battles
even climbing crazy mountains
even in events surround brain tumors
and all that jazz
He IS good.
In the being still
I am reminded,
 He is ON my side
where EVER I am
He is with me…
He chose …. me.
not for any coolness about me…
but for some purpose ALL His own..
and I am thrilled!

In just
being still..
even in not doing things..
which is SO profoundly difficult for me 
it's in this SITTING and 
just BEING still
HE is doing my fighting for me
and it's HERE
that I need ..
yes NEED to be still
need to observe
need to Wait
need to listen
need to BE patient
need to BE quiet
it's actually a lot to do
walking in the woods
sitting in the house healing amongst my family
a LOT to do
and yet…
it wasn't on "my" list of things to do
it really..
REALLY 
had me re look
at this verse…
just remember..
we are NEVER alone
as ALONE as I feel sometimes..
as LONELY as I feel sometimes
in the woods
in a crowd
in my home 
in the meadow
we are NEVER
EVER
alone..
note to self:
be still,
 observe EVERYTHING, 
listen.. just LISTEN to your surroundings, 
be patient with your self and others and the situation, 
try to be quiet, it's an extension of keeping self still, & listening…
oh..
and breath..
breathing is good…





No comments: